Action stations bring drama to the dining room without adding too much in labor cost. And as most action stations are in dining rooms with a repeat-customer business, providing better-for-you options is key. As Jason “Jay Z.” Ziobrowski, corporate chef, Eastern region, InHarvest, travels frequently, helping non-commercial outlets set up dynamic action stations; we tapped him for his top three ideas featuring whole grains.
1. Quinoa Stir Fry Station
- Ingredients: Tri-Color Quinoa with Short-Grain Brown Rice, fresh vegetables and grilled protein choices (chicken, beef or tofu).
- Prep: Cook and chill quinoa; cook and chill brown rice. Combine to a ratio that fits your pricing structure. Blanch vegetables; mix together; chill, or keep separate for customization element. Grill proteins; chill.
- Set up: Quinoa/brown rice mix on ice; vegetable mix on ice; protein mix on ice; sesame oil, gluten free soy sauce, minced fresh ginger and garlic.
2. Tuxedo Barley Jambalaya Station
- Ingredients: Tuxedo Barley™ (black barley with waxy hulless white barley), fresh vegetables and grilled protein choices (chicken, Andouille sausage, tofu)
- Prep: Cook and chill Tuxedo Barley™. Blanch vegetables; mix together; chill, or keep separate for customization element. Grill proteins; chill.
- Set up: Tuxedo Barley™ on ice; vegetable mix on ice; protein mix on ice; vegetable oil, jambalaya spice blend and minced fresh garlic.
3. Vegetarian Sliders Station
- Build number-one: Quinoa & Farro Vegetarian Sliders
- Ingredients: Red Quinoa and Farro, tofu, panko, garlic, cilantro, vegetable stock, chili powder, cumin, egg whites (get recipe) and tomato relish and mini buns
- Prep: Prep sliders; chill. Prep tomato relish; chill.
- Set up: slider patties on ice; tomato relish on ice; olive oil, buns; sear off sliders to order (3 min. a side)
- Build number-two: Greenwheat Freekeh Mini Burger
- Ingredients: Greenwheat Freekeh, panko, garlic, onion, celery, carrot, red bell pepper, cilantro, mozzarella, vegetable stock, paprika, eggs (get recipe), traditional garnishes, mini whole-grain buns
- Prep: Prep sliders, cook them off; chill.
- Set up: slider patties on ice; garnishes on ice; canola oil, whole-grain buns; brown sliders to order